Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Did we put any thought into getting back?

Did we think about getting back home?

Okay, I'm old, set in my ways, vote often and I'm a vet. I support our troops in whatever mission they are sent to accomplish. They are in my prayers nightly, when in harm’s way and when they are not.

I watch the news, read it on the net, read anything I can find on Iraq, Afghanistan, read the soldier’s blogs and one thought constantly comes to my mind. President Bush, what were you thinking when you sent these men and woman into harm's way? Did you think this would be an easy in-out combat? Did you think we are America, the land of the techno-weapons, and we would have an easy time? Did you and those you consulted with, your advisors; Joint Chief’s of staff, etc put any thought into getting the troops home once they completed their mission?

See, that is the part of the equation that was not thought out, getting out. Returning home. You know, to the parades, the pieces of paper floating all over, the medals, the troops smiling and hugging. I'm sure all of the vet's from good-old Viet Nam, the home of the red mud, remember that parade. Oh, forgot, wrong topic.

Tell me the truth, how many of you know a vet, or someone from the Vietnam era that did not say, "Yep, gonna be another Vietnam." And to which most replied, "Not another." "Nope." "Never happen again." See, we all knew it would happen again. Forget this crap about history repeating itself. It all has to do with politics; just as it did then. Back then politicians would call in the daily bombing targets, wait for a body count that was made up to begin with, then go home to their wives happy they accomplished something.

Nothing changes it all stays the same. The only changes are the names of the dead and wounded. The problem? If I were still 18 years old, full of lightning and thunder, I would be there right now. Why? Not because of the politicians, nor the president, nor anything except for the person next to me, because in the military that’s all that counts.

I support our troops 100%. They did not go there by themselves. They were sent to do a job and they did it. Remember, they are our military and they need our support now more than ever. Let's support them.

No comments: