Thursday, November 10, 2005

A moment in my mind.

Just a Thought.

I love the Internet. The World Wide Web is my playground; servers and routers are my classroom. The modem is my ship to the stars. The void of cyberspace is my new frontier. I speak many languages and understand many cultures as I converse with my keyboard. My eyes are the monitors of space and time, its pixels challenging the imagination of my mind.

I don’t have to worry about my frequent flyer miles, passport or immunizations. I simply sit down and travel through the electronics of today into the concepts of tomorrow. I can visit as many countries as I wish. I can be in Japan in the morning, New Zealand in the afternoon, and spend the night in Scotland, England and Ireland. If I wanted to, I could drop by China, Russia, Canada and Australia on the way there. I could do that in an hour or less while I am having a morning cup of coffee.

I can read the news, watch a movie, laugh at a comic, wonder about the strange and weird and be in awe watching a shuttle take off. I can peek into people’s daily lives, laugh with their families and shed a tear with their misfortune. I can be with the brave men and woman fighting against terrorism, saluting their courage and crying with their loss. I can discover the latest trends in electronics and shop for the right price I want to spend. I can read the movie reviews, see what is on television that evening and schedule my flight to New York next week. I can operate my business in Chicago while I am vacationing in Hawaii. Run my spreadsheets, check into my customers and make sure the staff is on time.

I can make sure my child’s grades are up to their standard and chat with their teacher. I can read the latest ways to insure their safety and health. I can read about parenting and being a dad, as well as find out the latest baseball score. Watch the game, listen to music, talk radio, get down and funky, be in the groove and I can do all of this from the comforts of home while sitting in my chair.

I love the Internet.

No comments: