Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The mind of a traitor

I have always prided myself on my patriotism and for serving my country many years ago. To this day I get a chill wash over me when the flag is raised accompanied by the Star Spangled Banner. Although I am a bit older now and supposedly wiser, if the situation allowed me to once again don an Army uniform, I would do so with as many HooAh's as humanly possible. Yes, I love my country and to this very moment, I would lay down my life to protect her.

This far reaching patriotism of mine has always came to a head when I read of someone basically selling out our country for whatever reason they may have. These reason vary among different people too, financial needs, the desire for excitement, the thrill of the game, whatever be the reasoning behind someone selling out their country the fact remains that I feel they are the lowest forms of humanity, the bottom of the heap, the scum that crawls without arms or legs through the normal goodness of humanity.

This is why, when I first read of Dr. Rafiq Abdus Sabir trial for providing material support to terrorists by agreeing to treat injured al-Qaida fighters so they could return to Iraq to battle Americans, I became sick to my stomach.

Rafiq Abdus Sabir, was convicted in Manhattan federal court after a three-week trial that featured testimony from him and Ali Soufan, an FBI agent who posed as the al-Qaida recruiter in a sting operation that led to four arrests.

At first, I spent a bit of time in an attempt to understand what would make a person sell out their own country and then the fact struck me that I really did not care what his motives were. This man deserves all of the punishment the law allows and the court is willing to hand down.