Sunday, April 29, 2007

My fifth grade project

I recall fondly being in the fifth grade, it was a great time of my youth. It was not yet the 1960 era, sports were the only thing on my mind, not having totally discovered girls yet and life was simple and family oriented.

My fifth grade teacher was one of my favorites too, wise, fatherly and loved to get his students involved in something important and interesting, a true teacher. This was on his mind one morning when he assigned each of us to write an essay on someone we admired in world news, sports or the entertainment field and write a letter to them, asking for a photo to put on our school wall-board.

All the way home I was trying to think who to write to, there were so many sports and entertainment people that I admired, I could not make up my mind.

As I was walking into my home I could hear our black and white television booming something and I could see my Father sitting in his favorite chair watching it intently. I glanced at the screen and stopped in my tracks, frozen. There in beautiful black and white was the coolest man I had ever seen!

He was partially bald, wearing a military uniform and, oh my stars, he was actually wearing an eye patch! My heart was pumping; blood racing and I could barely ask my Father who he was.

Moshe Dayan, my father replied and went on to explain that he was a military leader in Israel. My family was all Irish Catholics and I did not have that much knowledge on Israel, except what I had learned in school, but I had my hero, a military leader and oh my, he wore a real eye patch, I was blown away!

It took a bit of research, but I found where to write and I did just that. A few weeks later I received not only a great letter, but a signed photo and he was wearing that eye patch, I was in heaven.

I made a trip to the library to gather background information for my essay. The librarian happily helped me and I sat down and began going over a few magazines and other material.

The more that I read about my new found hero, the more that I discovered that he truly was just that, a hero, not only to me, but to his people and to Israel. I was so impressed by what I was reading that I lost track of all time. I had no idea how long I had been reading about him, but some time later I noticed a huge stack of magazines, newspapers and a few books laid out in front of me.

I completed my essay, retuned all of the reading material I had gathered and went home, my paper was due in the morning and I was totally lost in thought about the topic that I had chosen.

The next day I presented my essay, placed my photo on the board and went back to my seat. At lunch time we were all gathered around the board looking at the photos everyone had gathered. Quite a few of my buddies were looking at mine with envy, one of them mentioned, "wow, he is wearing an eye patch!" I answered, "Really, I didn't even notice", and went outside to play.

I really had found my personal hero and to me, he was not even wearing that patch anymore.

7 comments:

Michael said...

Dayan was a great man, but I am curious:
Why did you like the eyepatch so much?

Anonymous said...

probably because old ranter - the blogger - is struggling with losing his eye sight....

Michael said...

interessant...

The Old Ranter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

louboutin, air max, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, prada outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton, ralph lauren pas cher, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, cheap oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, chanel handbags, longchamp outlet, louboutin pas cher, uggs on sale, ugg boots, nike outlet, jordan shoes, longchamp pas cher, nike air max, nike free, louboutin outlet, tory burch outlet, gucci outlet, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, michael kors, tiffany jewelry, burberry, longchamp, air jordan pas cher, nike roshe run, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, kate spade outlet, louboutin shoes, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, ugg boots, sac longchamp, louis vuitton

Unknown said...

bottega veneta, mcm handbags, iphone cases, reebok shoes, lululemon, wedding dresses, celine handbags, nike trainers, nike huarache, soccer shoes, louboutin, gucci, nike air max, valentino shoes, babyliss, hollister, ray ban, giuseppe zanotti, converse, jimmy choo shoes, birkin bag, abercrombie and fitch, hollister, vans shoes, p90x workout, insanity workout, nike roshe, vans, soccer jerseys, mont blanc, north face outlet, longchamp, hollister, oakley, new balance, ghd, timberland boots, herve leger, ralph lauren, instyler, nike air max, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, chi flat iron, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, north face outlet, converse outlet, beats by dre, baseball bats

Unknown said...

moncler outlet, montre pas cher, moncler, supra shoes, louis vuitton, moncler, moncler, barbour jackets, moncler, links of london, canada goose, louis vuitton, marc jacobs, coach outlet, canada goose, toms shoes, bottes ugg, pandora jewelry, pandora charms, canada goose uk, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, barbour, moncler, sac louis vuitton pas cher, thomas sabo, moncler, pandora jewelry, canada goose, doudoune canada goose, juicy couture outlet, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, pandora charms, hollister, ugg boots uk, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, canada goose outlet, replica watches, canada goose, swarovski crystal, karen millen, wedding dresses, lancel, moncler