Tuesday, April 17, 2007

We must have hope

I do not subscribe to the doomsday theory, the apocalypse, or predestination; I have always felt we create our own destiny in life. I have a favorite bit of advice that I pass on to the younger generation in my family and among friends. "If you are questioning if your boat will ever come in, ask yourself, when was the last time you sent one out."

However, I tend to think too much, over analyze, a subject until it makes sense to me. That has always been one of my fallacies in life, but it served me well in law enforcement. I also love to quote certain phrases when they apply to a given situation. That bore witness this morning when I began reading through the morning headlines and a dreaded feeling of foreboding came over me.

Massacre at Virginia Tech, war in Iraq and Afghanistan, tensions heating with Iran, deaths, murders, war, global warming, diseases, it was an overwhelming experience and led me to think of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse riding across the Earth.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

That is taken from the text of the breaking of the fourth seal and the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse rides, Pestilence, War, Famine, and Death. These four are traditionally referred to as the harbingers of doom for humanity.

Although I was overwhelmed with this feeling of disparity, I still feel there is hope for humanity. If we do not give hope then we are all truly doomed.

My heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to the souls who lost their lives at Virginia Tech and their families who will feel the loss for many years to come.