Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Nothing Changes

The Ranter
The Views of The Ranter

I recently received an email dwelling into the past of Barack Obama. It details his life and his connection to the Muslim faith, which the writer attempts to portray as a closely guarded secret.

My first impression was, “who the hell cares what his faith is” and I still stand by my small outburst in my home. Then I began thinking of where this world has ended in this war on terror and I was immensely saddened by my thoughts.

What have we wrought, that is the question for the day. We are tangled in wars in various countries and yes; the enemy we face is of the Muslim faith. Does that mean we take everyone of that faith in America and place them behind fences, much like the internment of the Japanese Americans during WWII?

Not in the contents of a sane nation it does not. However, we are faced with rather imposing questions on what is truly manifesting within the minds of the average American and the answer to that is not that nice.

Like many Americans I recall when JFK was elected as the first Catholic to attain that office and I recall my Father stating that it was about time. So, this train of thought is nothing new.

One would think that through the course of time that questions of the religious faith of a President would subside, but in truth, it does not. In fact it plays an essential part in the question of the candidate capturing the needed votes in the first place.

The war on terror has now added a new fear in the minds of Americans everywhere and I for one do not agree with this dilemma facing the voters. The question of a person’s faith should never enter into anything and yet; it still does, all these years later.

It amazes me when I think of how far we have stepped back when we should be taking giant steps forward.

No comments: