Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Fathers day

Growing up in the 1950 and 1960 era was an experience for my Father, and me we both learned from one another and grew up together.

My parents were young when they were married. WWII had just ended, the troops had returned home and a baby boom was taken place, suffice to say after all the welcome home parties, the people of my generation were being born like wildfire.

The 1950's were full of family time, home life and fond memories. The 1960's were tougher on me as well as my Father. I was just exerting my independence and my Father was doing his best to insure I did not exert too much.

Overall, my relationship with my Father became very strained, we tended to argue extensively, frankly, the majority it was my fault. I was young, on the wild side and made far too many mistakes. My Father tended to argue instead of being a teacher and that only added fuel to the fire.

A few years in the military cooled us both down, I did not return home until after my enlistment was over. When I did come home, I discovered that not only had I matured into a man, my Father had grown as well, understanding, loving and wishing to have his son back.

Some people have said that life is a mixture of tragedy and comedy and I found that to be an accurate description of my youth. However, once I became a son to my Father and him a Father to me, this all changed and we formed a better relationship between us that lasted for many years.

My Father is gone now, as well as all of my family, there are many times that I think of him fondly and with love and I have come to the realization that Father's do not ever leave us, they are always with us and I can see him every time that I look into the mirror.

Happy Fathers day to Fathers everywhere, it is a difficult task filled with love and today they should all be remembered.

No comments: