Friday, December 01, 2006

Banks at risk

The Ranter
The Views of The Ranter

I was reading through all the news very early this morning and quite frankly still suffering from a Glaucoma Migraine which hit me last night, so I was attempting to keep my little brain occupied and came upon an article warning of possible Qaeda financial cyber attacks on Banks.

This one grabbed my attention as I am a security consultant, not doing much with it in my present state, but the Virus, Trojan, Spyware and Phishing industry has been a part of my world and I have sat back these past few years watching it grow in leaps and bounds.

Back during the antiquated and still missed by some, DOS days and the early Windows, we experienced many problems with what was then known as the Virus Industry. John McAfee had darn near invented the concept of actually going out and battling the new underbelly of computing and a new industry to combat this growing threat was still in its infant stages.

At that point, in time I was an agent for a few Antivirus firms and due to my affiliations was able to play with just about every known virus hitting the industry. It was amazing to me the depths individuals would actually stoop to do damage to someone’s data and information.

Back then, we knew that if all else failed, we could perform a low-level format and rid the system of the culprit. Not so today, today we are faced with new, improved security risks, Keyloggers capturing every keystroke, software turning your computer into someone’s private network, Trojans downloading their payloads at a later and transmitting all of your personal financial information to another computer.

Taking all of this into consideration, I find it a totally conceptual possibility that these new attacks will occur, when is the question, not if.

I am not going to hawk software on my blog, but if you are on the net, you need a good firewall, Antivirus, Anti Spyware and Anti Phishing, or your computer and information is in jeopardy. There are many fine sites and software available to effectively do the job right.

No comments: