Sunday, August 12, 2007

Fallen hero of Israel

One of our friends who frequent this blog, Michael, from Israel, has a blog titled, Oleh Musings. I am a reader of his blog and like to stay up on all of the trappings of life in Israel.

I was reading through his blog today, to catch up and came across an article on one the heroes of the Second Lebanon War, Maj. Ro'i Klein.

I was extremely moved by this man's actions, which resulted in his death and saved the lives of his fellow soldier. I highly recommend reading the article and thank Michael for sharing it with us.

'Medal of Courage' to be Awarded to Fallen Maj. Ro'i Klein

6 comments:

Wild Bill said...

I read Michael's blog pretty regular too.. Its good to have somebody that is there to give their opinions on what the news is thats put on the Wire..

Michael said...

Hey Ranter
Thanks for the hat tip!

The Old Ranter said...

My pleasure, great story of a great man. Keep the blogging up bro.

Ranter

The Old Ranter said...

Michael,

Please tell us what Oleh means. My Hebrew consists of very few words, of which that is not one.

Thanks
Ranter

Michael said...

Oleh is the present tense first person masculine singular of the verb la'alot, meaning "to go up."

Oleh, and the feminine, olah, are used to refer to Jews who have immigrated to Israel (we have "gone up" to the Holy Land).

The process of immigration, aliyah, comes from same verb root.

The Old Ranter said...

Michael,

Thanks for the explanation.
I had assumed that was the meaning.

Many years ago, I was in a routine paratroop training and a few IDF were with us. We had a blast, I learned the term Sabra and a few others. Very fond memories of good men.

Ranter