Thursday, August 02, 2007

Who’s on first

I have been giving a lot of thought lately to the Middle East arms deal. No matter how I add up all that is being planned, it still makes no sense to me what so ever, none.

Here we have President Bush, our leader and commander in chief, wanting to sell 20 billion dollars in high tech weaponry to the Saudi kingdom. There is just one small tidbit that bothers me about this pending sale, correct me if I am wrong, but that is where 15 of the 19 hijackers on 9/11 came from and we are going to sell them all of this high tech weapons?

Of course, Bushy has promised the Israeli's their fair share and more, but this sale has to make a few of their leaders a bit nervous just thinking of the Saudi's having these weapons and high tech goodies.

We are told that the Saudi government, excuse me, it is a kingdom; anyway, we are told they need these weapons to defend themselves against future attacks from the Shiite bad guys in Iran.

Now, here is where I get a bit confused, but aren't the Shiite's the very same people we have instilled into power and a leadership role in Iraq? One more thing that boggles my mind is Iran was a hated enemy of Saddam. See how this all tends to run together after awhile.

No, I am not saying that we should have left well enough alone, just that this arms deal smells like a windfall for US weapons firms, nothing more. I do wonder how Israel sees all of this.

5 comments:

Michael said...

We are told that the Saudi government, excuse me, it is a kingdom; anyway, we are told they need these weapons to defend themselves against future attacks from the Shiite bad guys in Iran.
Now, here is where I get a bit confused, but aren't the Shiite's the very same people we have instilled into power and a leadership role in Iraq?


Ranter, you bring up some excellent questions. I am sure that if you email the President, you'll get a detailed and complete explanation.

Not.

The Israeli gov't is going along with Bush, because Olmert thinks that's how he'll stay in power. He can advertise this as a windfall for the IDF, in the wake of last summer's screw-ups.

Most Israelis are worried that high-tech US arms are going to Egypt and Saudi Arabia, where they have a high probability of being used against ... Israel.

Let's not forget that the Saudis see Israel as a far greater threat to them than Iran.

Finally, I think everyone on the planet except for President Bush sees that the Arabs got these gifts in return for absolutely nothing.

The Old Ranter said...

Michael,

Actually, it would not surprise me to get some canned reply from the Bush White house.

I know of one person who wrote and did get a reply from Bush. So, I think I will keep my comments here, where they don't learn my name. Smile

Ranter

Wild Bill said...

I thank that G.W. knows that we are soon gonna be forced by the (D)s to evac from Iraq and he just wants everybody over there to have plenty of ammo to thro at each other and dwindle down the terrorist ranks a little before we have to go back and CLEAN HOUSE..

The Old Ranter said...

Wild Bill, that was my take for awhile too. Then I began thinking about the whole thing and not much maje sense to me.

We should have went into Iraq as the military taking control, not as liberators. That was a mistake, pure and simple.

They are worse then the government in Viet Nam, at least they had a form of government. Iraq can't do anything.

The answer is not pulling out, we both know that, but that is what will happen.

Ranter

Michael said...

We should have went into Iraq as the military taking control

That would have been a novel, and constructive, idea.