Thursday, April 13, 2006

The statment I hated most.

Reading the news this morning I came upon this article, British army doctor compares US invasion of Iraq to Nazi regime, which was the worst absolute lie I have ever read. Growing up in the early 1950 era my family had an elderly next-door neighbor couple, which my Father would go out of his way to do things for as drive to stores, do the lawn, etc. I never understood the magnetism that attracted my Father, normally the type of person to tell someone to jump in the lake, but he treated these two with the utmost respect.

I believe I had recently entered the fourth grade, my school was a large ethnic and cultural mixture of children, many of whom I was jealous over each time a Jewish holiday passed and they did not have to attend class. My teacher was a hulk of a man who loved his classroom and went out of his way to insure we understood his teaching, I recall I idolized him and even would visit him later in life. I did not know, nor understand his status as a World War II survivor until later in life, but I remember all too well the day I questioned him on my neighbors. My teacher had one day a week in which we discussed any subject on our then open minds yearning to grasp any subject we saw, he referred to it as “Open Class Day”.

I had raised my hand and finally called upon, I asked why my neighbors, two elderly people had tattoos of numbers on their left arms. A silence had fallen over our class and the teacher arose, walking to the blackboard and wrote a number sequence that looked exactly as what I saw each time I visited them. I noticed a few of my friends had bowed their heads and others were talking all at once, I had no idea what was going on.

My teacher than pulled up his left sleeve and showed his arm to the classroom, I sat near the front and could plainly see the numbers tattooed in the exact place as my neighbors. That moment in my life is when I learned of the holocaust and has been etched in my mind since that day.

My neighbors had learned of my question, my family had discussed my questions with them and that night we all sat down to a dinner at their house and I was told the story of Nazi Germany and what these two human beings had went through at a place called Auschwitz.

I have never forgotten that day or that moment in my life and I have never forgotten them, I remained friends with them until we attended their burials one bleak morning. They had died three days from one another. I have always felt within my soul that God had seen to this so they would be together in death as they had in life.

This comment insults me, infuriates me and insults the memory of every human who sacrificed his or her souls at the hand of a dictator believing he was a God. This individual has the right to say what he feels, but if I were standing next to him I know within my heart I would knock him on his pious ass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you would knock him on his ass and I would just love to be there to give you an "atta boy" and high five!
Been going thru some of yer archives, excellent, cogent, concise stuff. I am 57 years old so much of the things of which you speak resonate with me.
It amazes me how you say so much with minimal word usage. Yer spirit shines so brightly---perhaps that is why yer eyesight is damaged---yer ON FIRE with the truth!!
I feel you are an old friend. Happy day Ranter. Don't stop anytime soon.