Saturday, March 18, 2006

Experts need love too

Please, someone out there I beg of you, give all those retired military experts used by the major news services a job, something to do, making cookies, paper-dolls, anything! Now I have the utmost respect for those retired military warhorses, I truly do, but All morning?  I awoke to news that the 101st Airborne had launched an assault on insurgent positions northeast of Samarra in Iraq. Interested and concerned for the troops I began watching. The news, what little the DOD had released was over in a few minutes, now to analyze it, provide blow-by-blow “what ifs” “maybe” and “damned if I know” scenarios the rest of the morning and afternoon is spent listening to all the retired military experts they dragged out of bed.

These guys droned on and on for hours. On one of the news shows the expert ran out of things to talk about and began taking questions from the studio audience. That was not enough. After the experts were through they dragged out all the pro and con people to sit in split screens arguing with each other about what capabilities the 101st Airborne were. Capabilities? They are the best-damned soldiers in the world and given the chance will insure the insurgents are dead. That is what they do. Problem solved. I was about to call DOD and beg them to release more information when I remembered the Sponge Bob cartoon was on.

In closing I have to bring up the item about President Bush stating our right to a pre-emptive strike. Alongside this is an item about Jessica Simpson snubbing the President. Snubbing the President? Who the hell cares if she did? I sure don’t. Okay, she is beautiful, has a great voice, but the fact that she snubbed the President does not concern me in the least. The leader of the free world just made a statement to Iran that we reserve the right to a first strike. Remember Iran, the bad-guys making nuclear threats to the UN and calling for the destruction of Israel. Those guys. That is news. Not the blonde co-star with Ms. Piggy in commercials throwing pizza in some guys mouth!

No comments: