Thursday, March 23, 2006

The problems we face.

Crack, Crystal Meth, Weed and a plethora of other drugs are becoming as commonplace as the toaster. The so-called war on drugs America has been waging is not working. I observed an incident a few days ago that totally amazed me. My niece had broken her leg and it was my turn to drive her to school. I Pulled to the side of the buildings next door to wait until the buses finished their morning job and noticed a boy around 13 or 14 standing between two buildings trying his best to hide.

We sat there waiting for the buses to leave and I opened my window. The weed odor hit me so strong it was mind numbing. I looked over toward the boy and sure enough he was palming a joint. After dropping my niece off I went to speak to the principal to explain what had happened and pointed out the area it took place. She said, “Oh, that’s not school property it belongs to the apartment complex next door. I’m afraid there is nothing we can do about it.” She invited me to sit and we spent the next twenty minutes discussing the drug problem and the policies of the school.

She explained the school’s anti-drug programs to me. Zero tolerance, anti-drug education, peer counseling, one on one counseling, etc. Overall the programs are very well constructed and it showed the schools are trying. I thanked her and went home. Nothing could be done. I could not call the police. I did not have his description, name, anything that would have assisted them.

I don’t have the answers to the problem and it’s evident no one else does either. But there has to be something. Either that or society simply lost their way. I know of so many families affected by drugs. It destroys them from the inside out. Drugs have eaten some of them alive and spit them back out. I am not only speaking about teenagers, but adults as well. As long as we have countries whose sole gross national export is drugs the problem will remain. Whatever the answer is I hope someday they find it. Before it is too late.

1 comment:

Fishgutts said...

We are loosing the war on drugs. It is crazy how much the government spends on this war that we seem to be loosing.