Sunday, March 25, 2007

My personal Hero

I want to step off my normal path today and discuss the fortitude and bravery of someone I often refer to as my telephone wife. I normally do not dwell on a personal side to my life, but the courage of this woman is an inspiration to me. She is a very special person in my life; I felt she may inspire others who are having medical problems.

She is many things to me, but above and beyond everything, she is my closest friend in the world, a part of my soul; we have shared a beautiful friendship for close to seventeen years and I have never held any other person in such high regard as I do her. The love and the bond that we share is of the purest form, I cherish her very existence.

She is a businesswoman who prides herself in her professionalism. A vast amount of her work involves communicating with people, in person or on the telephone. Her communication skills are second to none, she is pleasant, sweet and professional all in one, constantly insuring everyone she talks with are treated in the same professional and caring manner as she would like to be.

She has the most beautiful heart I have ever encountered and her love of life is amazing, she is happiest when she awakens to the sound of her wind chimes, the morning sun lighting her room and her small dog happily telling her good morning. She will take her morning coffee in her yard, enjoying the hummingbirds hovering around the feeder, her flowers and watching her dog as he investigates the morning with her.

She absolutely loves rainy days; the sound of raindrops on her skylight will bring her out of a sound sleep with a smile on her face and happiness in her heart for the life she is blessed with.

She is inquisitive, very intelligent and possesses a genuine thirst to learn that which peaks her interests or is new to her. Over the past seventeen years her learning curve has constantly amazed me, she will become well versed in a new area within a very short period of time. She will research, read and discuss things with me until is so well versed it is second nature.

She owns a very large part of my heart, whenever my life has been struck with a devastating event, of a personal nature or health, she will be found at my side, guiding me through my dark moments with her love, advice and concern. She is my best friend, my confidant and lately, my personal hero.

Approximately a year ago she was diagnosed with a neuromuscular condition, which at first was diagnosed as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, (ALS). Lou Gehrig's disease, since then they have vacillated between various diagnoses, today it is classified as unknown, but nothing is being ruled out.

There are times she has problems walking, or keeping her balance. It is neuromuscular, due to that it can affect many aspects of her life. There have been times when she stood at the precipice of sadness the tables were reversed, me at her side. Through it all she has remained, strong, focused and determined to continue working.

What began as a friendship that the ancient God of Greece would have envied has remained, even grown, but now, she has crossed into the realm of my personal heroes. Her determination to succeed and her courage to overcome is an inspiration to me and always will be.

4 comments:

Michael said...

Your wife sounds like an amazing woman; you are a lucky man.

I hope she recovers, and finds r'fuat hanefesh u'r'fuat haguf, the healing of spirit and body.

The Old Ranter said...

Thank you,
She is one in a million, she truly is.
Ranter

Anonymous said...

Gratitude blesses twice.

How wonderful yer love is....and how proud you are of her.

So happy for ya Ranter.

You deserve it!!!

Wild Bill said...

The people like that in our lives seldom get the credit they are due.. Glad to see you give credit where credit is due..

Just wishin you and your Main Squeeze all the best..