Saturday, May 13, 2006

A few Nixon memories...

I have been a registered, voting republican since Nixon, and people, do not blame me, I voted for McGovern, I thought Nixon looked too much like one of those untrustworthy guys who would scam someone out of their last buck on some gold mine that never existed and I simply did not like him.

I confess that when Woodward and Bernstein told the world what they had discovered while tracking the “Nixon money-trail” I ran around screaming, “I told you so” to every family member and friend within range. The Watergate inept, felony in waiting “gee I want to be a burglar” plumbers provided me with many hours of even more entertainment.

Who can ever forget the infamous “I am not a crook” speech he gave with his traditional five o’clock shadow accompanied by that sweat glistening on his upper lip that had cost him the election during the Kennedy debates.

Here was John F. Kennedy, rich and famous, looking like a GQ cover photo, the man every guy wanted to be, married to beautiful Jackie, standing there delivering his lines like a tenured professor explaining college life to his freshmen assistant.

Standing next to him, we had Tricky Dickey, looking like he was going to explode with anger or had just been caught playing with matches, sweat pouring down his face, his upper lip dripping moisture and the man actually later questioned in a book why he lost the debate and the election that very moment.

I have never done as my Father and voted the straight party ticket, individual not mattering, party affiliation only. Except my Father was not republican, but a democrat and proud of it, all except for his, “I like Ike” days he could always be counted on to vote democrat straight up the ballot. There were a few instances where I questioned him about it and he would to tell me he made sure to vote that way simply to cancel out my vote. He always did have a way with words.

This is simply a few memories I wanted to share with everyone. I actually did not feel like ranting this morning, but hey, give me a few hours and I am sure something will tick me off and be put here for your reading pleasure. Thanks for stopping by and listening to my Nixon years memories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Two guys who scared the "bejeebers" outta me.

Nixon and Clinton,

Snake-oil salesmen, ishta!

I actually had to stop listening to Rush cause he kept saying, Clinton this and Clinton that.

Got to the point I could not even look at him and physically averted my eyes when I saw him on TV.