Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A few memories of yesterday.

The Band of Brothers after-interview with a few of the remaining men of easy company never ceases to put a tear in my eye. Maj. Richard Winters, white haired and a look of respect surrounding him turns to others seated, asks if anyone recalls a letter he received from Mike Ranney, then goes on, “When his Grandson asked if he was a hero in the war he said, no, but I served in a company of heroes.”

Our country had a nation of heroes hit the beaches at Normandy, France, June 6, 1944; I once had the honor of standing at their final resting places while in France in 1967, visiting Verdun and Normandy, it was a very moving experience for me. The feeling of respect was overwhelming, something difficult to describe and nothing I had experienced until that specific moment in my life.

I was a soldier during that time and as any other serving, felt I was a great warrior, but standing there looking at the crosses of those who gave their all put that feeling into the proper perspective for me.

We not only need to remember what these heroes gave for America, we need to think of what those serving today in Iraq and Afghanistan are also giving for their country.

Heroism does not stop with time, it too marches on, sometimes it surfaces, but always there deep within each of America’s soldiers lies the spirit of yesterday and the hope of tomorrow. We must not ever forget the yesterday. However, just as important, we must not forget those serving now and we must pray for their tomorrow.
The Ranter

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

O.K. Ranter---now you've made me cry........it's those sacred tears again....

Anonymous said...

My husband and I watched that too ~ we were both in tears.

mambear ~ I like that - "sacred tears". Yes, most definetly.