Saturday, June 03, 2006

Michael Yon, revisited.

I visited Michael Yon’s site yesterday, MichaelYon-Online.com, to read an article written by someone in Iraq whose blog I have been following, the article was, The Haditha Killings, good stuff, by the way. I have been a follower of Michael’s work since his first or second dispatch from Iraq when he was first embedded with the now fabled, Deuce Four; he has always inspired, yet at the same time instilled a sense of awe in me with every post he has written.

When I first began reading his posts I was not yet familiar with Michael Yon, the man, only from his writing style, which was the best I had encountered with embedded reporting, he left no stone unturned, I loved it. I had spent my early years in the military and the majority of my adult life in law enforcement, my wife always said that I was definitely the type not to share his fire hydrant; Michael’s writing suited me just fine.

I was relatively new to the blogs, having just recently taken a medical retirement and was looking for something to take up a bit of time, always an avid reader, I decided to write a bit myself and searched for blogs that I could read, learn and enjoy while doing it. Quickly coming across a few that matched my way of thinking A Soldier’s Perspective, Blackfive, Michael Yon, and many others, I began my own.

I learned quite a bit about Michael from reading a few of the blogs and more from his work, bio and background, learning this is the type of man they make movies about, write songs, this was the real deal all wrapped up in a pen and a camera. I learned that the only fear this type of man has is if he will be the first to give the devil the finger, should something go wrong.

When I learned of the Shock magazine incident, it infuriated me just as it did many others, I also blogged and called a complaint into the company. Now to read they are making threats to seek litigation for the complaints filed by his supporters, when he had nothing to do with it, only makes me madder.

This incident demonstrates to the world the true character of the individuals running that publication and the fact they are used to getting their own way with threats of litigation. I am sure they will soon learn they cannot always get their way with threats, especially to someone who has no fear.

My favorite comment on this incident came from the always-eloquent Blackfive; he described it all in one sentence:

But, you know, it would take a lot to make a former SF Soldier reconsider. In fact, how stupid (or French) do you have to be to bully a guy that doesn't blink?”
The Ranter

No comments: