Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Better things are coming

The Ranter
The Ranter

I owe all my readers a very big, giant, in fact huge apology for not updating lately, but in my defense please allow me to say I have been busier than Puxatony Phil has on Groundhog Day. Of course, he rests the other 365 days of the year, watching the groundhog channel and eating pizza, but he does work the media that one day of the year. I have been helping a friend for the past five days and now that their life is in order I need to get mine in order, this blog is the primary focus of that little existence upon this earth

The job was time consuming and I was only able to do a bit of mail each morning, but I assure you my friends, it was important mail. I have invited Wild Bill to join me once I awhile here at My Daily Rant and I will be changing the other Ranter’s News that Count to reflect that as well. He will send in something a few times a week and at times we will both work on the piece, so if you like red-blooded American, old time Hell and brimstone patriotic material, well you have found the right place. If you like to read comments, questions or something that makes you stop and think, then are at the right place.

If you hate the war, the military, the brave men and women serving in harm’s way, than boy, are you at the wrong place.

We have a few important posts coming soon, I am working on a few and catching up with the news, I just added to the comments a few from Wild Bill and you will be seeing them here as well. So check later and do not give up hope. I promise you the Ranter has not left the building.

I do believe one or two people can make a difference, even if it is with a select few who can then influence a few more and with Wild Bill’s information he comes up with and my ranting, we will see what can be done.

As Henry Fonda’s character Tom Joad in the great film The Grapes of Wrath, based on the Great Depression said, “Takes no nerve to do something, ain't nothin' else you can do.” In addition, damned if I do not intend to do something.

The Book, The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck made a huge impact on my young life, I was young an and an avid reader from the age of three when I began reading the comic strip out loud over my Father’s shoulder, surprising everyone and not knowing why they were so excited about it.

I was born in 1940’s and at the age of seven I read The Grapes of Wrath as my first try at reading. It was sitting in the house, it looked big, and in fact, the largest book I had ever seen at seven years of age. We were under quarantine from a member of the family coming down with Polio, the epidemic had just begun and everyone was terrified of our family thinking they would die, so the county placed a huge red lettered sign stating the fact. I had nothing to do, no television, did not have one yet, so The Grapes of Wrath was my playground and it hit me hard. I had my Mother explain just about everything in the book to me. It was one of the most enjoyable experiences of my youth.

Later when the movie was making the rounds, I could not wait to see it. My friends thought I was insane, they were watching Buck Roger’s save the galaxy and here I was watching what they called, some dumb movie.

Here is my favorite passage from the Grapes of Wrath, I will close after that and get back to all of the posts I have been working on. Remember to look for great things here at My Daily Rant and the wisdom of Wild Bill too.

The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck, “I been thinkin' a hell of a lot, thinkin' about our people livin' like pigs, an' the good rich lan' layin' fallow, or maybe one fella with a million acres, while a hundred thousan' good farmers is starvin'. An' I been wonderin' if all our folks got together an' yelled, like them fellas yelled, only a few of 'em a the Hooper Ranch--“
...
“I'll be all aroun' in the dark. I'll be ever'where--wherever you look. Wherever they's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. if Casy knowed, why, I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad an'--I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry an' they know supper's ready. An' when our folks eat the stuff they raise an' live in the houses they build--why, I'll be there. See? God, I'm talking like Casy. comes of thinkin' about him so much. Seems like I can see him sometimes.”

The Ranter

3 comments:

Wild Bill said...

I guess we picked a bad time for me to start sendin you all those News Stories, huh ??

But it does sound like you have had time to step back outta the fog and have a better look at the situation and make your decisions on the direction you want to go with stuff now..

The Old Ranter said...

Nope, just bad timing on my part, darn, I have to post about it today so everyone knows. Lost a hard drive on the main computer, had all backed up and transferred it to the laptop. Now I have the main back online and it will take me the better part of the day to catch up. Don't stop, don’t worry, I take precautions so this does not occur and glad I did.
Ranter

Anonymous said...

Also one of my favorite books (born in 1949) thanx for the memories----gonna go back and read it again. Classics never go out of style. They are just as valid in 2006 as ever. Touch a chord in the human spirit.