Thursday, August 03, 2006

Life goes on and we change

I decided to sit back, relax and watch a bit of television this evening, we pay all that money for cable we need to see what is on once in awhile. I wanted to put all thoughts of war, my growing outrage against the media and thoughts of the day behind me with something entertaining. Therefore, with that last statement fresh in my mind I will confess that I watched Saving Private Ryan for the fourth time. Yes, that really took my mind off the present events of our world.

Saving Private Ryan is perhaps one of the most realistic WWII movies ever filmed and the story it weaves of the tribulations of the Rangers in their quest to salvage one soldier’s life from the devastation of war is mesmerizing. The opening scene reminded me of so many of the D-Day photographs I have viewed over the years and I have often surmised that Steven Spielberg studied them deeply prior to filming.

I first saw it with an old friend of mine. We were sitting in the theater quietly watching the movie when the scene where the Ranger’s medic is hit by machine gun fire began playing out. Our combined moods instantly changed, it was totally devastating to each of us, too realistic, far too close to home, when the medic began crying for his Mother and begging to go home we both had to walk back to the lobby only to find a half dozen other veterans standing there emotional as well. We all stood quietly, then spoke for a spell of days past, of friends not present, collected our thoughts and returned.

I never actually viewed the entire scene until quite some time later when I watched it on video at home. Perhaps the relaxation, the privacy or simply the fact that I was older, alive and sitting in my own living room allowed me to watch it without my personal demons showing themselves.

This led me to think of our young military men and women now standing in the dark meeting their new personal demons who will haunt them in years to come. Their own personal thoughts they will carry on through their lives and I wondered if it will change them, harden them, turn them into something they never desired as it did some of my friends, many of our friends. The only answer I could come up with that allowed me to change my thoughts was no, they will be fine and not because they are different, not because they are smarter, harder, more trained, but because we cannot allow that to happen.

We cannot allow them to become anything other then a functioning member of society. We cannot allow it because so many of our friends did not make that transition to normalcy and wondered around searching for sanity in an alcoholic or drugged haze, or that small change to make their minds whole once more, or came home with their body less than they left, or did not come home at all.

We cannot allow it… We cannot.

The Ranter

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No we will not allow it. Read the blogs of the military now coming home on leave and you will see how they were cheered at the airports, bought drinks at any bar they frequented, and respected by friends (even those who understood nothing about the war)
I believe there is an undercurrent of unconscious knowledge=we REALLY do know what the stakes are if these bullies are allowed to run rampant. AND our culture will not survive this travail unless SOMEONE steps up to the plate.

Your story was very poignent, tears to my eyes, I send you loving thoughts of a grateful nation and just wish I could give you a great big "bear-ette hug"

Bear and E watch those movies with fierce abandon, me, I can't stomach watching war movies---I have always felt man's inhumanity to his fellow man much too keenly. Always wanted to see the movie "Shindler's List" and "The Passion of the Christ", even in the privacy of my home through closed fingers I've not been able to pull it off. Touches something too deep and raw inside.

Bear and I were with E when we went to "Pearl Harbor". When the credits were rolling (we always stay for the credits) my son cried with such depth and soul pain you'd have thought he was there and lost all his friends to that war. In one so young (19) it was a clarifying moment and let us see into his huge heart and love for his fellow man.

This love will not disappear on the battle field, if anything, it will be made stronger. He talks a good bluster but I can see him come home and run for public office as there is a great desire to serve, he speaks of it often.

The boys over there in the "real world" of raw emotion know they have not been portrayed in a kind light. Know they have not been supported by the media. I think when they come back they will tell their truth not with words but by living their life with true principles. They certainly know the truth thru the BS monitor implanted in the reality of their service. NO ONE will be able to lie to them again. Isn't that right Ranter? You are a good example of that! You tell yer truth---no one pulls the wool on you.

Back in your time there was great social change, the world was upside down. Things are a bit more open now. I think when our warriors come home they will be able to sort it out. I hope and I pray. We must all contribute in some way to make it happen, to let them know how we love their sacrifice and honor their decision to protect and serve us.

We are all in this together.

We are AMERICANS......

The Old Ranter said...

Mama Bear,

Your beautiful words were thoughtful, insightful and inspirational and I know, deep within my heart that as long as there are people as you and your family it will not happen.

Take care of your son when he comes home, he will have a few things changed in him, but he is strong and will grow from it.

Thank You
Ranter