Sunday, October 01, 2006

Older, wiser and not grouchy, good times....

The Ranter
The Views of The Ranter

I have often written that I miss my youth; the days of feeling immortal, full of lightning and thunder and feeling, I could do anything. However, like many of my fellow brothers I felt I had survived something that I should not have, where others that did not make it back should have survived, double speak, but I’ll bet a cup of coffee that others reading know of what I speak. I had a few months of going nuts when I returned until I made peace with that one demon.

Now I feel older and yes, wiser, but that rather comes with the territory. I find it strange and yet interesting that one day we are young and impetuous taking no one’s advise but our own, then thirty years later we are the patriarch or matriarch of the family, full of wisdom and knowledge for the younger generations to turn to. I always respond to a question or answer to the best of my ability and at times wonder if I was giving the best advice.

I recall when I was younger the only medication I would ever have to take was an aspirin once in a great while for sore muscles from a game or what have you. Now my days consist of medication and eye drops and it amazes me how my body changed.

My Doctor says my body is paying the price of my youth and the constant bombardment of injuries and other things against it. It is difficult to have led the life that I led without injuries and I have more scars then I have hair, but at least I am here complaining about it still. I always liked the phrase if I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care. How very true that is.

I recall waking in great moods and getting the day going and that changed too. Takes a bit of time for the old body to work now, the eyes to start focusing and all the medication to kick in and make things work better.

I also recall going days on end without sleep, often from too much nightlife and others from too many people shooting things at me, even in civilian life as a cop. The 1970 era were violent times and police officers had a rougher time of it, I spent many nights wondering if I was still in combat, if not it sure felt like it.

I have now made peace with my growing older and instead of missing my youth, I remember things fondly. I often think of friends that did not make it and friends that have passed since then and overall consider myself one lucky person to have done all that I have and still be kicking and ranting on a blog.

I have also found another benefit of getting older, friendship. I mean true friends that have stood the test of life and time. I have one close friend that has been in my life for over sixteen years, she, and I are closer than any other person in most lives; through thick and thin, and sorrow and joy she and I have shared our lives and are still closer than before. It was always interesting to me that whenever something happened in my life, good or bad I did not turn to my girlfriend at the time, I turned to her, my best friend, that is where pure love and trust lies.

Through it all, I have now decided that I am proud to be older, wiser and proud to have a friendship that I cherish. I am glad that I have done all that I have and these memories are worth more than money.

The money would be a nice thing to have, but it could not purchase the experiences and love I have known.

5 comments:

Wild Bill said...

Now thats what I call a "no-shitter" , Ranter !!

I got a cartoon from somebody the other day around my birthday that had 2 old ladys sittin in rockers on a porch that said " I've lived so long that all my friends in Heaven thank I didnt make it" !! Sometimes I kinda feel like that too..

I'm one of those kind that when somethin goes wrong, I always say " well, it could be worse " ..

The Old Ranter said...

How true. I recall long ago when I turned 30 I received a card from my Goddaughter. It said, "How does it feel to be the other generation!" I thought it was funny then, but how true.

Better to have loved and lived then to no live at all.
Ranter

Anonymous said...

So eloquent and sweet. True words from the heart. If one has gratitude in the heart there lies happiness as well.

I leave you with a word of knowledge. Those you thought you loved and lost so long ago are at yer side urging you on. They come thru in yer writing. You are their focus. You never left them nor they you.

Take heart young Ranter there will one day be the great reunion---let's hold it off for the time being---Do not ever doubt their words come thru you. Their love and strength are clearly felt.

It is the true meaning of the word "inspire" to breathe spirit into. Your words are very inspiring.

They en-courage you. To do all the things you have done in yer life has required much courage.

I thank them all. They live through you.

And today is a happy day for me because I am grateful for you, and for them.

God Bless.

The Old Ranter said...

Mamabear your words are sweet and to live by. Thank you.
Ranter

Papa Ray said...

I missed this post somehow.

I could have written it (that is if I wrote as well as you do).

I'm just as grateful as you and also glad to have "met" new friends like you.

Papa Ray
P.S. I think it was Waylon Jennings that first said: "If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself". He is BTW, my favorite singer of all time and his songs could have been all written (sadly) about me.